Whenever I ask my friends what I should bake for them, whether it be a birthday, or a small get together, the unanimous request is “the cookies with that dip”. They’re actually simple sugar cookies, but with a side of pomegranate cream cheese frosting for dipping! I found this recipe from Alton Brown and it’s just fantastic! Alton makes sandwiches with his cookies, but I think it’s a lot easier to have people dip the cookies. Also, after being a picky eater (for about 20 years), I am very conscious of other peoples need for variety and options. So the option remains, to dip, or not to dip. (I thought about deleting this sentence, but it is what it is.)
While planning a holiday party for my friends, I was obviously asked to make my cookies with the dip for it and I did, of course, holiday style. But whether they are for a holiday, a birthday party or just because you want to eat some delicious cookies, these are perfect, and delicious
Ingredients: 3 cups flour 3/4 t baking powder 1/4 t salt 2 sticks unsalted butter 1 cup sugar 1 egg 1 T milk powdered sugar (for rolling) 8 oz cream cheese, softened 4 T unsalted butter, softened 1/2 cup powdered sugar 3 T pomegranate juice
1. Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
2. In a separate bowl beat sugar and butter together.
3. Add egg and milk to butter mixture.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter.
5. Divide the dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
6. After the 2 hours, preheat oven to 375°
7. Remove 1 half of the dough, roll out onto a powdered work surface and cut out shapes with cookies cutters ( I recommend small shapes because they are easier for dipping.)
8. Place cookies onto parchment lined cookies sheets and bake for 8 minutes, turning the pan half way through baking time.
9. After the cookies are baking, let cool for 1-2 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
10. Repeat steps 7-9 with 2nd half of dough.
While cookies are baking and cooling, make the frosting.
1. Mix together cream cheese and butter, making sure they are both room temperature so they mix together easily.
2. Add the powdered sugar and pomegranate juice and mix.