My favorite go-to dinner is Zucchini Parm. It is more of a lasagna, but either way it’s delicious, and it tastes even better as leftovers.
Preparation takes a bit of time but always rewarding. It helps a lot if you have a mandolin to cut the zucchini strips.
2 1/2 medium zucchini
16 oz tomato sauce
1 lb sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese
1/8 cup milk or water
9x9 in oven-safe pan
Pre-heat oven to 350°
1. Cut the ends of the zucchini and cut it in half, then slice it long ways into 1/4 in strips.
2. Whisk the egg and milk (or water) together and grease the pan with oil.
3. Dip each zucchini strip into the egg wash, then into the bread crumbs and place each strip into the pan, placing the first layer in 1 direction and the 2nd layer in the other.
4. Spread sauce over zucchini. Then rip a slice (or 2) or cheese into strips and place it onto of the sauce.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have used up all your zucchini. When you are finished add extra sauce and cheese to the top layer.
6. Put the pan into the preheated oven and turn the heat up to 400°. Bake for 25-30 mins.
Tuesday’s are my longest day at school, 9am to 9pm! It is always an exhausting day, so I usually pick up a chicken pita for dinner from the greek restaurant around the corner from me, Souvlaki GR. It is so DELICIOUS! But tonight I cooked up some vegetables and they are so delicious. I have a few other posts lined up, but I can’t wait to share my recipe with you.
As some of you may know, everything I cook now has quinoa in it. I had a quinoa patty, and quinoa and rice stir fry for lunch, so I think I got my serving for the day. BUT, I am absolutely certain that in the future it will be an ingredient in this recipe. I honestly didn’t even think to put it in because I was so hungry and I grabbed a bunch of things from the refrigerator. But anyway, onto the important part.
5 red potatoes
1 t olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 green onion
1/2 large zucchini
1/2 can (or 7 oz) chicken (or veg.) broth
1/2 pack of baby broccoli
1/2 cup cooked quinoa (optional)
4 T tomato sauce
pinch of flour
salt and pepper
1. Wash and boil potatoes for 20 minutes or until tender.
2. While potatoes are boiling, wash and cut zucchini (1/2in coins, then quarter) and baby broccoli, mince garlic and cut green onion.
3. When potatoes are almost cooked, heat a large skillet and add oil, green onion and garlic, cook for 1 minute
4. Add zucchini and chicken broth, cook for 3 minutes.
5. Strain water from potatoes and cut the potatoes into quarters and add to the skillet, wait 3 minutes, then add broccoli (and quinoa if using).
6. Simmer until the broth is almost absorbed about 7-10 minutes then add the tomato sauce, flour, salt and pepper.
7. Cook for 1 more minute then serve hot with grated cheese.
* Vegans can sub the flour for a vegan flour or starch and omit the grated cheese!