The best reason to bake is to bake for someone else. My best
friend Maddy had a birthday coming up and of course I planned to make
something special. I chose to make a 3-layer chocolate sour cream cake, because
chocolate is her favorite. For the frosting, I made brown sugar maple to give a
I decorated it with pastel dragées and bunting I made from masking tape, yarn and chopsticks.
Ingredients: FOR CAKE 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1 cup boiling water 1 cup butter 2 1/2 cups sugar 4 eggs 3 cups flour 6 T cornstarch 2 t baking soda 1/2 t baking powder 1 cup sour cream FOR FROSTING 4-5 cups powdered sugar 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup maple syrup 1 cup butter 4 T milk (optional)
Preheat over to 350°
1. Dissolve cocoa in water.
2. In a bowl combine butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time.
3. Mix together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually add mixture into butter mix.
4. Add sour cream.
5. Pour evenly into 3 greased and floured 9″ round cake pans
6. Bake for 30-40 mins at 350°
While cake is baking, make the frosting
1. Beat butter until smooth.
2. Add brown sugar and 2 cups of powdered sugar to butter and mix until combined.
3. Add maple syrup and 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until combined.
4. Add the rest of the powdered sugar if necessary. To thin the frosting add the milk 1 T at a time.
When the cake is done, cool, then refrigerator for 1 hour. Then frost.