Today was a beautiful 75°F and sunny. I couldn’t wait to spend my Saturday outside in the park. I knew I’d get hungry so I threw together this delicious cucumber tomato salad and hit the park. The park eventually became uninviting, as it was some sort of organized dance parade that sounded like Electric Zoo, but it was relaxing long enough to enjoy my lunch.
1/2 hot house cucumber
2 plum tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp oil
1 T finely chopped red onion
splash of white vinegar
1. Wash and cut cucumber in half lengthwise, then into slices and fold into a paper towel to absorb excess water.
2. Wash and chop tomatoes into bite size pieces.
3. Cut the onion and add them into a bowl with the cucumber and tomato.
4. Drizzle with remaining ingredients and toss.
Serve with bread for dipping.
*For a heartier meal add red or white beans or peppers.
It is crunch time for me as I finish up my last academic paper and get things ready for my BFA Open Studies on Thursday. I kept procrastinating and writing my paper in hopes that my hunger will pass, for I cannot spare enough time to cook up something decently healthy. But, alas! I was able to make something both delicious and time saving!
(Yes, I am writing this post, instead of my paper. I am also eating this as I write)
I put the quinoa in the rice cooker, the broccoli in the oven, then I wrote while they cooked. The cooking time equated nicely to my writing time before I needed to take a break.
But whether you have time to make a five course meal, or you need a quick fix, eat this healthy, vegan-optional treat!
Preheat oven to 425°
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water or stock
1/3 stalk of broccoli
feta cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Cut and wash broccoli and place on a baking sheet sprinkle oil, lemon (only half of the half), salt and pepper. Shake it around the pan to make sure everything is coated, then place it in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until browned.
3. Wash quinoa, then place water/stock, quinoa, oil, salt and pepper in a rice cooker. Or cook in a saucepan. Cook for 15-20 minutes
4. When the time is up, mix together the broccoli and quinoa, then add the remaining lemon juice. Add the feta if desired.